Saturday, January 5, 2013

Christmas memories from the past.....

I asked my siblings for memories of past Christmas'. This is what my brother, Ben, sent to me. 

Now what do I remember about Christmas. I remember it was always an exciting time just before leading up to Christmas, looking forward to the family being together. I remember going to church to practice singing etc for Christmas eve, and then Christmas eve, receiving the bag of candy and /or oranges, and we looked forward to that , as a treat like that was fairly rare. Then Christmas eve, having a cold meal-ham, mousse, other. Also the visits with Werstrohs and enjoying games with the family particularly monopoly.  The decorations that were put up in the house, the streamers and bells. I can remember the baking Mom would do, all the sweets and chocolates, candy. Also something that I haven't seen or tasted for years would be the Haluva that Dad would cherish. I remember with fondness, partaking in Artichoke school concerts and yes the Caboose rides , either to church or to concerts or just to go visiting.
With respect to gifts, the two most vivid memories of gifts would be the year Peter and I got a battery operated caterpillar, and also the year we got a BB gun. With the BB gun we did not waste any time going out and testing our aim on birds etc. Then also with respect to activities, there was skiing, skating and also being pulled along the ditches with ski s on.  Oh I do remember one christmas, and I am not sure how old I was , receiving  my first pair of skates. Mom & Dad not being too familiar with skates , were excited about having bought me skates, but didn't know that the pair they bought for me were goalie skates not regular skates. Non the less I was excited about the skates.
I am trying to remember whether you and Glen were ever home at Christmas time and the farm.Something tells me you guys were out there one time in winter. I remember proudly the first Christmas Betty came to Mom & Dads on the farm at Christmas time.
Any way many of the memories are very general and not too specific on incidents.
It would be nice sometime to sit around as a family and share stories.
The bottom line is that even though the times were tough and there was not a whole lot of flashy and expensive gifts, I have very fond memories of Christmas with friends, family and relatives, when the spirit of Christmas was very genuine.

 

No comments: